Sunday, January 17, 2010

Will It Ever Happen?

Tony and I have talked about building a house for a very long time. Longer than we've been married. Where, what kind, how to finance, solar options, etc. For our first anniversary we spent the weekend trying out different layouts. We bought a book that had gorgeous floor plans that we thought we could scale down to our price range. I think the smallest floor plan in the book was over 5000 sq ft! If it came with a built in housekeeper I might enjoy that, but I have a hard time keeping 1000 sq ft clean and uncluttered!

A few months later we came across an opportunity to buy a chunk of land with some acquaintances. We'd get 2 acres for less than most 1 acre parcels were going for and wed have good neighbors built into the deal. We decided to go for it and I hoped then that it would speed up our design process, but it hasn't.

I think the biggest hold up is that some of our financing options have disappeared and we're not sure we want to take on a mortgage. This place we're in now was supposed to be temporary and we've been here almost two years now. It's not a good set up for homemaking and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels in that department.

We just might have found a good option that will get things rolling soon. If it materializes I'll write about it!

2 comments:

Laura S Reading said...

I hope you are able to start soon. The cost of labor should be reasonable with so many people looking for work. But check them out thoroughly. So many shows and news stories about people being taken by unscrupulous construction crews.

Jennifer said...

Congrats on finding a nice piece of land to build on. I hope you are able to start on your house soon.